Adam Scott still believes a cashed-up world golf tour could still work despite several top players including Rory McIlroy pouring cold water on the rival Premier Golf League.
Recently, superstars McIlroy and Brooks Koepka admitted they were less enthusiastic about the Premier Golf League, which has been proposed by British-based World Golf Group (WGG).
WGG recently announced plans to launch the PGL in 2022, which is reportedly backed by Saudi Arabian financiers.
WGG says the lucrative league would feature the top 48 golfers playing 18 tournaments a year, each with a prize purse of US$10 million (AU$15 million).
Ten of the events would be in the United States, while organisers have targeted the Australian Open as one of eight overseas tournaments they want to acquire.
However McIlroy, a four-time major winner, recently distanced himself from the PGL.
"I'm out; I like to have freedom and I don't like what they're proposing," he said last month.
Koepka, also a four-time major winner who McIlroy deposed as World No.1, said the rich sums being floated by the PGL would not be enough to persuade him to abandon the US PGA Tour.
“I'm out; I like to have freedom and I don't like what they're proposing.” – Rory McIlroy
"Money doesn't matter," the 29-year-old said. "If somebody gave me $200 million tomorrow it's not going to change my life. I just want to play against the best."
It is unlikely the stars approached by the PGL will be able to play both the rival league and the PGA Tour, regarded as the most elite circuit in the sport.
PGA Tour players must seek a "release" from the commissioner each time they want to play an event outside their home tour and are unlikely to be given 18.
Several players and golf commentators predicted the PGL concept was dead in the water after McIlroy's withdrawal, given his profile and ability would be crucial to getting the new league off the ground.
However, Australian former World No.1 Scott believes there is still plenty of merit to consider.
"I'm still very positive about the concept of what it could be, for sure," Scott said on Wednesday in Florida ahead of the Arnold Palmer Invitational.
"That doesn't mean I think it's going to happen, necessarily.
"Everyone sees it from somewhat of their own agenda. Being an international player, the thought of a world tour sounds really great.
"I don't think my sentiment on the concept has changed at all. I still think it's fantastic."
- Evin Priest, Australian Associated Press