The PGA Tour, NBC Sports and Sky Sports today announced the return of televised golf with TaylorMade Driving Relief, centred around a US$3 million charity skins match supported by UnitedHealth Group to raise money and awareness for the American Nurses Foundation and CDC Foundation, two organisations helping to lead COVID-19 relief efforts.
On Sunday, May 17, from Seminole Golf Club, TaylorMade Driving Relief will feature two-time FedExCup champion and World No.1 Rory McIlroy and 20-time PGA Tour winner Dustin Johnson, teaming up against two Oklahoma State University alumni: PGA Tour superstar Rickie Fowler and 2019 first-time Tour winner and 2019 NCAA National Champion Matthew Wolff. The competition will follow strict CDC social distancing guidelines, local mandates and will utilise appropriate testing measures to help protect the health and safety of the golfers, production crew and others on site.
Additionally, Farmers Insurance has pledged US$1 million to back a birdies-and-eagle pool to benefit Off Their Plate, a charitable organisation helping COVID-19 healthcare workers and impacted frontline shift employees.
Building upon this initial fundraising of US$4 million, PGA Tour Charities will announce a Text-To-Donate activation and online donation platform powered by GoFundMe to allow viewers to make additional contributions and raise funds for COVID-19 relief.
- Players: All four golfers will donate their time for the 18-hole, two-man team skins competition, with McIlroy/Johnson playing for the American Nurses Foundation and Fowler/Wolff playing for the CDC Foundation.
- Location: Seminole Golf Club (Juno Beach, Fla.) A majestic Donald Ross design with a clever routing on a rectangular site, each hole at Seminole encounters a new wind direction. Seminole has long been one of America’s most-revered clubs and this marks the club’s first ever golf event broadcast. No fans or spectators will be permitted on site.
- Date/Time: Sunday, May 17; live coverage will air from 2-6 p.m. ET
- Television Broadcast: NBC, GOLF Channel, NBCSN, Sky Sports and other PGA Tour global media partners.
- Digital: Unauthenticated streaming of the entire event available via PGA Tour LIVE (NBC Sports Gold and Amazon Prime Video), GOLFPASS, GolfChannel.com and GOLFTV powered by PGA Tour. Pre-match coverage as well as the first two holes of the event also will stream on Twitter.
- Safety measures: PGA Tour will follow all guidelines, executive orders and mandates issued by the state of Florida, Palm Beach County and the city of Juno Beach.