The four-day showpiece, first contested in 1928, has been held in Queensland since 2000, when it relocated from the Victoria Golf Club to Royal Queensland.

After two years, it established a home on the Sunshine Coast, enjoying an 11-year run at Coolum. 

Scott then won the tournament in its first and last staging at Gold Coast's Royal Pines in 2013 and 2019.

The move to Brisbane was confirmed a day after that 2019 event was won, but it's understood an announcement on the 2026 venue won't be made until next year.

A return to NSW could be on the cards, given that the Australian Open has been at least temporarily relocated to Melbourne.

Masters champion and former world No.1 Scott visited the Oval Office to meet Donald Trump and discuss the reunification of the professional game in February.

However, he believes he has "no say" in domestic tournament venue discussions, instead being happy to suggest The Pines, located at Sanctuary Cove on Hope Island, as a suitable alternative.

"I have a soft spot for Sanctuary Cove, having had a home there for quite a few years, and my parents are still living there," Scott said of the northern Gold Coast course. 

"The Pines course is up to it, but there are golf courses that are up to it, and  then the logistics of a tournament is a whole other story."

RQ's makeover will include a new clubhouse, the creation of a second short course on spare land underneath the Sir Leo Hielscher Bridges and an upgraded driving range.

But, with the Games in mind, perhaps the most important project will be the gradual replacement of the current course's turf to ensure there is no longer a mixture of grass types on the fairways and roughs.

Scott hoped any move away from Queensland would be a "temporary thing".

"I've enjoyed playing up here my whole career ... from Coolum days to down on the Gold Coast and now in Brisbane," he said. 

"It would be a shame to see a big event like this leave the state, but there are big things on the horizon also for Queensland."

A record $2.5 million in prize money, $500,000 more than last year, will be distributed on Sunday, and the event has proved popular with fans, striking a balance between party and tradition.

In a statement provided to AAP, the PGA of Australia said the organisation was "currently working through the future" of the 2026 event.

"The Championship continues to grow in strength and stature each year, including a prize money increase this year, and we look forward to escalating that growth," it said.

"The BMW Australian PGA Championship has become a stand-out event on the DP World Tour and a key part of Australia's sporting summer, with planning for future editions of the event focused on building on that momentum and delivering an even better experience for players and fans."